Friday, May 30, 2008

Conversations with another 6yo Piano Student

Student: "Liz, you look like a pre-school teacher."

Me, unsure how to take this: "Wow, that's convenient because I am a pre-school teacher." (Is it the teacher clothes...you know, baggy cotton and linen and earth shoes? Is it my kid-smile? Is it the ever-present pony-tail with two or three pencils tucked inside? The mug of tea I lug around? What does a pre-school teacher look like?)

Student: "Yep. I knew it, you look just like a pre-school teacher."



This student must have been curious about my life outside of piano lessons, because after she told me I looked like a pre-school teacher, she had this question for me:

Student: "Liz, do you have any kids?"

Me: "No, I don't."

Student: "Why not?"

Me, considering my response carefully: "I just don't. Some people do have kids, and some people don't."

Student, visibly considering this in her little kindergarten brain: "Is it because God didn't give you any kids?"

Oh, boy.

No comments: