Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Role Reversal

A six-year-old student who took a summer hiatus recently had her first back-to-school piano lesson. When I walked in the door, she greeted me with a grin and a big hug. I was flattered and took my seat next to the piano, glowing with love for my job and excited about this student's eagerness to start back into her lessons.

I opened up her assignment notebook and began reading over the notes I had written for her last spring, to refresh myself. She said, "Did you bring the flashcards?"

Sometimes I bring flashcards, as a special thing, for students, especially if they are beginners and need something a little more fun to help them learn the bass clef or time signatures or something. "No," I said, apologetically, "I didn't bring the flashcards."

I made a note in the notebook to "bring the flashcards."

The six-year-old nodded and looked at me closely. She squinted and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Well, Liz," she said, with a sigh, "One thing is the same about you. You are forgetful."

I raised my eyebrows, more amused than offended.

"And," she continued, as she peered onto the notebook where I had written my forgetful self a reminder to bring the flashcards, "one thing is different about you. Your handwriting is much better!"

I smiled and graciously stammered, "Why, thank you." (Even though I don't believe it for a second--my handwriting has not improved one bit. And, in fact, it wasn't that bad to begin with. But I'm not offended, I promise. I mean, it only gets messy sometimes when I am in a hurry. Really. My handwriting is very neat. Mostly. But maybe my lapsing memory serves me wrong on this matter.)

Nodding, she employed a very teacher-ly voice. Approvingly, she said, "I can see you have been practicing this summer!"

No comments: