Friday, September 26, 2008

Power of Prayer

Actual birthday card letter from my actual grandmother:

Hi Liz,
We think of you often and wonder how you are doing. Kjersti says they don't have an address for you as you are living with a friend. What is going on?
We keep hoping you will meet and fall in love with a nice guy, someone to share your life with. (that is our prayer for you) I am going to play cards this p.m. with my card club and grandpa is going to golf as it is stag day today.
Love you lots,
Grandma

I read this card aloud to my mother, my aunt, and my sister yesterday, where we had gathered at the unlikely location of a steakhouse in Nowhere, Minnesota.

My sister grunted and said, "Well. Now we can see just how strong the power of prayer really is!"


Just in case there is any merit to the power of prayer, let's hope that my grandmother is praying for my happiness more than for my heterosexuality. I think the two might be incongruent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just tell me when to show up in boy clothes, and we'll fulfill everyone's prayers. ;)

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/shwiggitude/?action=view&current=megintie.jpg

Anonymous said...

ouch

Liz said...

sometimes people just don't get it. My family skipped praying for heterosexuality and stuck to praying for "my soul".