Monday, November 12, 2007

Stingy

I rented a U-Haul yesterday to haul my things over to Stacia's house. How does the joke go?
(What do lesbians do on the second date? ---They rent a U-Haul.)

In any case, while we had the U-Haul, I decided to bring my couch to Goodwill, since I won't need it and no one else seems to want it and it's too big to store in Stacia's basement. I expressed concern to Stacia that Goodwill (about 1.1 miles away) may not be open on Veteran's Day, and she said, "Well why not just take it to Savers (about 3.2 miles away)? You know that will be open."

Surprising even myself, at the mention of driving to Minneapolis, I erupted in a stream of, "SAVERS? As in Savers in Minneapolis? I can't afford that kind of mileage!" I was sincerely perturbed. I mean, how could she suggest such a thing? Outrageous! Astounding!

About five minutes of silence passed, as I sat in my cloud of complete bewilderment and Stacia sat, probably confused or amused or maybe annoyed at my outburst.

And then we both began to laugh because ever since I started tracking my mileage for my job I have become really stingy about driving, and it's so out of character for me to be like that. I mean, Savers is only two miles further than Goodwill. Well, four miles round-trip.

But who's counting.

1 comment:

Liz said...

hehe! Moving can bring out unusual emotions...maybe yours just manifests in mileage stinginess?