Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lessons in Life and Death at the Pre-School

Yesterday in Spanish class, we wrapped up our unit on estaciones (seasons.) I asked the kids what kinds of things happened in each of the cuatro estaciones. I head all sorts of interesting responses, as you can imagine. Kids are quite literal. "In the summer, you can wear a new swimming suit!" Or, "In the fall, you eat turkey!" The most interesting response, however, came from a frantic four-year old, who raised his hand and bopped his body up and down, making that, "mmm!!! mmm!!!" sound that indicates he needs to be called upon to speak, ahorita.

"Si, Joey," I said, smiling at his enthusiasm. "Y que pasa en la primavera?"

"Liz!" he exclaimed urgently. "Liz! When you get old, you DIE!"

I paused, trying to find the thread that connected this fiber of thought to what kinds of things happen in the spring. As I considered how to respond to such a statement, another kid began to chime in.

"Yeah!" she said, also excited. "Cyclical! It's cyclical!"

Suddenly, ten four and five-year olds were chanting, "Cyclical! Cyclical!"

Aha! So they were equating the cycles of the seasons with the life cycle. These kids are astoundingly insightful! It could have been an excellent opportunity for discussing earth spirituality with them, but I elected to stick to my Spanish curriculum and brought them back to telling me what happens in each season.

"Yes, life is cyclical, " I said carefully, affirming their assertions but not getting into confusing territory, "Just like the seasons. Okay, what about el invierno?" I asked. "Can you tell me what kinds of things happen in the winter?"

"I know what happens in the winter," another kid said. He opened his palms and shrugged his shoulders as he explained, "In the wintertime, we get rats in our basement."

Well. Insightful or not, at least some of them retain that characteristic literal interpretation of a kid's world.

1 comment:

Liz said...

This makes me terrified of what my stepsons would answer in class...
In the winter Liz stops mopping the floor because we are sloppy with our boots.
In the summer Liz hoses us off in the backyard instead of having bathtime.
The possibilities are endless!